Saturday 3 September 2016

My FIRST blog post: Be the best YOU, you can be!!

Hello my beauties and welcome to my first ever blog post!! Some of you may know me from my Instagram account (@bopo_becky.x), but if you want to find out a little more about me and my cause, click on the "About me" link to the right of my page :)

So today I wanted to talk a little bit about recognizing your progress and achievements. The title of this post, and kinda the theme behind the whole blog is "Be the best you, you can be". But what does that mean? It doesn't mean you have to be the best person on the planet, nor does it mean you have to be perfect, you don't have to be the best at doing what you do. What it DOES mean is that you should always try and be better than the person you were yesterday! 
I think it's very easy to get swept up by life and only see the big picture, It's easy to beat yourself up because you haven't reached your goal yet or because you perceive others to be better than you are. Everyone does it! 
As an example I'm going to talk about my running (as some of you may know I'm a total running addict and I've recently started running competitively). So a lot of the time I get irritated with myself because I'm not quite as fast as some other runners and I haven't ran as far as some others have (11.2 miles is the furthest I've ever gone in one go). Sometimes I get really down about it and I just sit there and think, "why am I not as good as that person is? Maybe I should just give up running all together". Times like that I just need to STOP and think about myself, NOT anyone else. What have I achieved in comparison to MYSELF? Well quite a damn lot actually!! This time last year I was classing 4 miles as my "long run" now 10+ miles is my "long run", 4 miles is basically my warm up now!! That's huge progress when you think about it like that. This time last year my average pace was 12.5 mins per mile and now its 10.5 mins per mile. This time last year I could only run 2 or 3 miles before I needed to stop and walk and now I can run 9 to 10 miles all in one go! Yes I'm not as good as other people are, but I've definitely come a long way from what I used to be!
Take other people out of the equation and YOUR achievements are AMAZING!!
This way of thinking can be applied to anything! Body positivity, social anxiety, eating disorder recovery. 
I was just discussing with a friend earlier today how I'm self conscious about my legs, especially the tops of them (not sure whether you can tell from the photos above but I have quite a few scars on them). Until quite recently actually I'd never EVER show my bare legs! I'd wear tights under shorts, dresses and skirts. But now I'm showing off my BARE legs to the whole of the internet. Am I 100% happy with my body 100% of the time? I'm not gonna lie to you guys, the answer is no! But I'm one hell of a lot happier with it than I have ever been in the whole of my life! 
I love the saying "comparison is the thief of joy" because how damn true that statement is! The moment you stop caring about what others look like compared to you, what others are doing compared to what your doing, what others have achieved compared to what you have; that's the moment you can truly start living, truly start being happy for being YOU!!
Because no one else can be you; you are unique, a one off, tailor made! There are no rules for how to live, how to act, how to be you! Society makes us think that there are rules we must follow, a certain way to look and act but in reality that's not true! 
So as long as you can ask yourself, "Am I better than the person I was yesterday?" and answer that with a big fat YESSS!! Then rest assured you are doing it right! 

Keep being you my beauties :)
Love Becky XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment